Monday, April 26, 2010

Ticket price

I am an international student, every year I go back to my country after the semester ended. And there is a thing that always pissed me off, which is the ticket price from here Anchorage to my country. In Alaska, there is only one airplane company that flies to my country directly, so I always have to take that fly.

Last winter, I went home to see my dear mom, so I took their flight again. They charged me a round trip ticket for $1500!!! Ok, maybe $1500 is not enough to show how insane this price is, let me do some comparison and explain why I am so pissed about the price.

The fligt I always take is original fly from New York and stop by Anchorage then ends at my country. So if I have to pay $1500 to get a ticket to go home, then I wondering that how much would those people have to pay from New York to my country? Then I look it up to the website and search for the price, guess what? They only have to pay $900 to get a round trip ticket from New York to my country. Why do I have to pay so much more than the people in NewYork and the distance is even farther than mine?

I think this is one of the competitive and monopoly market, because in New YorK people can choose which airline they want to take, but in here Alaska only has one aireline that flies to my country so I guess they can change the price to whatever they want...

5 comments:

  1. A clear example of supply and demand. What country do you live in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be wishing for the opposite of lower ticket prices. If the ticket prices went up to say $10,000 round trip, then it would create a huge incentive to bring in more airlines to fly to your country (assuming people that travel there have to) and would fix your problem, as you said about NY they have choices and a competitive market drives the prices down.

    Try starting a facebook page complaining about ridiculous airline prices in Alaska, gain popularity, and hope for more suppliers entering the ballgame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember price discrimination also, and marginal revenue and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from Taiwan.

    To ChristopherW, yeah, I wish that could happen, but we don't have that much people from Taiwan stay here in Alaska. So I think that's one of the reasons no other companies want to be part of this competition.
    So sad...and that's why I'm stay here over the summer and take summer courses :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww I see. Well still fun to complain!
    Would it be better to fly to Seattle, WA and get a flight to Hong Kong and then over?? Seems like it might be cheaper.

    ReplyDelete