I have done it. I have invented a great tasting beer that has no calories. Even if it didn't taste like nectar from the gods this would still be an amazing event. Now to patent my formula thus creating barriers to entry. Let the monopolizing and profits begin!
What to sell my genius idea for and how much to produce? I seem to recall my Economics professor chanting something about "Demand"... What was his name again? Keith? Kenny? Never mind, back to demand. My demand is going to be completely inelastic since this is the only beer of it's kind and there are NO substitutes! Just kidding, there are plenty of beers out there, so fairly elastic. With a fairly elastic demand there will only be a small markup but no matter. I am the only producer capturing all this profit until my patent runs out and Budweizer reverse engineers my formula and drives profits back to zero.
So how much to I sell it for and how much to produce? Oh look I found a graph with my Marginal Revenue, Marginal Cost and Demand Curves. Handy! Okay Marginal Revenue crosses my Marginal Cost at 20 million gallons, that must be how much I produce. Gotta love graphs. And then I follow that quantity up to my demand curve and over to price. $20 a bottle. Perfect!
What about my profit? How much am I going to make off of my genius? Hmmm... oh look, Average Cost. I'll bet my profit is the area of the sqaure from my profit maximizing price, over to my demand curve and down to my average cost.
Now if only there was a way to price discriminate and bundle beer and condoms together... it could create a positive externality on society: less stupid people.
Monday, April 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment