Sunday, April 25, 2010

Health Care Bill equals the problem of forced riders and numerous other problems

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the recent passing of the health care bill, but I suppose it's possible that not everyone has staunchly conservative parents like mine who cram their every ideology down their children's throat. I'm even more surprised that the health care will went through at all. I don't have a very deep interest in politics and I don't know the exact figures for what this bill is costing in taxes, etc. What I do know is that America is a capitalist country and if our government is so concerned with turning us into a socialist nation, they're doing it a little backwards. If socialism is where we're heading why not really offer socialized medicine instead of requiring the purchase of health insurance. All that does is cost us, as taxpayers, even more money for more crap that most of us (or some, at least) don't want or need. Not that everyone desire some form of health care, but for example: Joe Whoever living in the mountains of Alaska who lives off the land and hasn't seen a soul in 5 years is now required by law to purchase something he can't afford and probably doesn't want. And the government can hunt him down an dpenalize him. In economic terms I suppose this is an example of forced riders which our beloved textbook states are "people who must contribute to the public good even though their benefits from the public good are low or even negative". The same goes for people like myself who are Alaska Native and enjoy the privlege of free medical care not to mention numerous other benefits. I know I definitely don't want to pay for health insurance or higher taxes for the benefit of other people. Many, well probably most out there with a liberal viewpoint would disagree with me but I'd be hard pressed to believe that those who are truly educated on this topic can do anything other than point out its horribly large faults.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your point of view, if one is having a financial problem, how can that person afford more tax or additional payment due to the new policy of health care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The health care bill was also the first thing that came to my mind when I read about forced riders in chapter 17. I would think that there would be exceptions for Alaska Natives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The unfortunate thing about america is that if it is appealing to the mases which usualy are the middle class and lower class the bill will pass, or the contrary with the over lobbied over paid congressman that ignores the best interest of the people they represent. This socialized healthcare is the downfall to a key component of our succesfull economy. The incentive to be the best and create the best new ideas is no longer there because the money will not justify the effort it will take to solve the worlds health issues.

    ReplyDelete